Today we’re sharing our butcher’s tips and tricks to master a pork roast. It is a staple meal to add to your cooking repertoire so we hope this will prepare you for the next family meal or special occasion.
There are only 5 steps standing between you and the perfect juicy pork roast. Let’s get started!
1. Choosing the right cut of pork
Choosing the right cut is essential to cooking the perfect roast.
While you can still roast cuts like pork shoulder and pork collar, they are better slow-cooked for a tender result unless you’re already a pro at roasting. If you’re up for the challenge, our stuffed pork shoulder is always a favourite amongst our customers.
Don’t let the fat scare you away; this is what adds flavour and moisture to your meat so that it doesn’t dry out while cooking. You can always remove the fat prior to eating, but leaving it on to roast will make a significant difference.
2. Selecting the correct portion
It can be challenging to select the right amount of pork you need to successfully feed everyone at your table. One must keep in mind that meat shrinks during the roasting process so it’s always a good idea to have a little extra rather than not enough.
Let’s be honest – we all look forward to a packed sandwich with pork leftovers the following day, so planning for more is never a bad idea.
We recommend at least 2 kilograms for 4 – 6 people and around 4 kilograms for 8 – 12 people. Naturally, this depends on the choice of cut and the portion you plan to serve your guests.
Our butcher is always happy to guide you on the best cuts and the suggested portions. Simply use our live chat-box, which you can see at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
3. Preparing the pork for roasting
There are several steps that you need to take to prepare the pork for roasting:
- Pat the meat dry with paper towel and leave it in the fridge uncovered and on a lower shelf overnight to continue to dry out the skin.
- Take it out of the fridge at least an hour ahead of cooking and let it come to room temperature in a cool place.
- Score the skin halfway through the fat to allow salt to enter. To score the skin, always use a sharp paring or Stanley knife.
- Place the meat on a rack in the sink and pour boiling water over it to pre-cook the skin. This step is optional but results in a crispier roast. Once again, thoroughly pat the meat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the pork with high quality olive oil and apply a generous amount of premium Swedish Falksalt into the skin, making sure it enters the score marks.
- For extra seasoning, you can also rub smoked paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and black pepper into the skin.
4. Cooking the perfect juicy pork roast
It’s finally time to switch on the oven and put your chef gear on.
To cook the perfect roast, simply follow our fool-proof method, which is based on 2 kg pork loin. Make sure to adapt the temperature and roast time according to the cut and size of your meat.
- Preheat your convection oven to 240°C (adjust temperature to your oven).
- Heat around 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Sear pork all over until golden brown, rotating the pork around to avoid spices burning.
- Pour hot oil and add sliced onions into a roasting tin. Place the pork on top of the onions.
- Roast in the oven for around 40-50 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180°C.
- Continue cooking the roast for a further 30 – 40 minutes until the juices run clear and the skin is nice and crispy.
- Once the pork is fully cooked, take the roasting tin out of the oven and switch the oven off.
- Transfer the pork to a plate and cover it loosely with foil. Place it back in the oven with the door slightly open and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serving your perfect roast dinner
Now that your roast pork is perfectly cooked and ready to be served, it deserves to be accompanied by delicious side dishes.
Everyone loves to douse their meat in delicious thick gravy so this is a crucial element to finish off your dish. And what’s a roast dinner without roast potatoes and roasted vegetables?
Once all the dishes are ready, place everything in the centre of the table for guests to serve themselves or prepare the plates yourself with a generous serving of your impeccable pork.
Are you ready to impress your family and friends the next time they come over?
Our Pork Meat Selection at La Boucherie
As Malta’s best butcher, all the meat available at La Boucherie has a guaranteed mark of excellence and something we take pride in as true meat lovers ourselves.
Explore our Selection of Premium Pork Cuts for your next roast, sourced from the best producers around the world and available at wholesale prices.
If you prefer to purchase your meats over the counter, visit our butcher shop in Qormi to see what we’ve got in store.
Bonus: Special Offer during the month of November
Exclusively during the month of November, you can get a FREE 1.5kg Stuffed Pork Shoulder when spending between €100 and €149.99. Click here to learn more about our special offers.