It’s official, the festive season is well behind us and the new year is now truly in full swing, as we settle into a more price-conscious and healthy lifestyle, everyone will start searching for ways to make their salary stretch further, and opting for wholesome budget-friendly recipes is certainly a great way to start!
At La Boucherie, we offer a vast range of low-cost meat options but we believe that nothing beats the versatility of chicken recipes. Whether cooked in a flavourful soup, mixed into a hearty plate of pasta or roasted and served with a side of fresh Mediterranean greens and crunchy potatoes, chicken is mouth-wateringly delicious in all forms. To help you get started, we’ve put together a selection of low-cost recipes you can whip up in minutes. Complete with a helpful list of ingredients and easy-to-follow cooking instructions, these budget-friendly recipes will allow you to serve your loved-ones delicious and comforting meals without breaking the bank.
La Boucherie’s Top Budget-Friendly Chicken Recipes
Maltese Chicken Broth
- 1.5 kgs Chicken breast, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (kunserva)
- 1.5 litres of water
- 1 cup of small pasta (optional)
- 500ml chicken stock (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, place the chicken, onion, carrots, potato, celery, chicken bouillon or cube, tomato purée, black pepper, and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Then, lower the heat and simmer for an hour uncovered.
- After an hour add the peas and small pasta.
- Add salt if needed and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Chicken And Bacon Risotto
- 400g rice
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 150g back bacon, cubed
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 6 boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 2 litres of chicken stock
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 200ml dry white wine
- 75g parmesan finely grated
- parsley, finely chopped (to garnish)
- Over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in a large and deep frying pan and fry the cubed bacon for 5-6 minutes until crispy. Scoop this out onto a plate and save for later.
- Reduce the heat to medium temperature and add the butter to the pan, allowing it to mix with the bacon fat and oil. Start frying the chopped onion and fry until soft and translucent before stirring in the chicken pieces. Leave them to fry for around 8 minutes or until seared all over and lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Whilst the chicken and onion are cooking, pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Next, lower the heat and keep it warm at the back of the hob.
- Add the rice and stir to coat it with the oil and butter. Cook the mixture for approximately 2-3 minutes and then pour in the wine.
- Continue stirring to help the wine absorb into the mixture, add the hot stock in single ladlefuls at a time whilst stirring continuously. We recommend waiting until each ladleful of stock has been entirely absorbed before adding the next one.
- After around 20 minutes, the rice should be suitably tender but still pack a little bite. If all the stock has been used but the grains are still firm, you may add a splash of water and keep stirring until it is tender.
- Finally, remove the risotto from the heat, and add the parmesan, cooked bacon, parsley, and the remaining butter.
- Cover the mixture and leave it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken & Maltese Sausage Pasta
- 400g penne rigate
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g Maltese sausage, sliced
- 400g chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- 1.5 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup double cream
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Bring a pot of water to boil, salt it generously and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Set the water aside instead of draining it.
- Whilst the penne is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan and fry the Maltese sausage for approximately 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat, until golden brown.
- Add the chicken breast to the pan and continue cooking it for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Next, add the red onion and red pepper to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once softened, stir in the garlic, oregano, chilli flakes and tomato paste.
- Add the chicken stock and allow the sauce to start bubbling.
- Once it has started bubbling, lower the heat and gently stir in the double cream. Allow the sauce to bubble once again and then turn off the heat.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to the pan and mix it well with the sauce. Stir in the fresh basil, parsley and grated parmesan.
- Finally, season to taste and serve immediately, whilst still warm, with an extra helping of grated parmesan on top!
Using Our Premium Meat Selection at La Boucherie For Budget-Friendly Recipes
Being true meat lovers and Malta’s best wholesale butcher, all of our meat is guaranteed to offer you excellent quality and unbeatable flavours. We want to help bring you quality budget-friendly recipes to suit any lifestyle. At La Boucherie, you’ll find a wide range of premium cuts at wholesale prices with same-day delivery for orders placed before 13:00. Yet, if you prefer to purchase your cuts over the counter, feel free to visit our fully-stocked butcher shop in Qormi and browse our impeccable selection of fresh meats in-store.